It was time to get some of the small jobs covered off and feel as if I was contributing to the upkeep of the car again. The home-made bonnet stay bracket was puddle welded to the middle support and primed before both the stay and the new bracket were painted in Old English White, Whilst we are at it, we would do a touch up job on the rear valance.
Both jobs went fairly smoothly and were soon complete.
The bonnet on the ’66 should have been aluminium but ours had a later steel one which explained the rather dodgy attempt at a bracket that the car came with and the additional holes for fitting the later bonnet stay but it looked a lot more ‘period’ with the home made bracket in place. While we were at it, we fitted the new sound deadening felts that we’d had for a while. I decided that the highly flammable spray on carpet adhesive probably was a poor choice for bonding it and instead got some ‘Sticks Like’ following a recommendation from the ‘MG Experience’ forum – Great stuff so far!
The next small job was to add lights to the Oil / Temp & Fuel gauges as these were found to be missing. I don’t intend to be doing a lot of mileage in the dark but they should be there!
Some correct period cable was used and added to the new Lucas bulb kit before soldering and heat shrinking the joints to keep things nice and neat. The correct Lucas bullet connectors were added to ensure that things were in keeping with the cars heritage.
Next came the indicator switch which was mounted at a jaunty angle and signalled right at every bump in the road. What should have been a straightforward swap revealed some issues that would need resolved.
Firstly, the outer tube of the steering column had been incorrectly fitted (thus the jaunty angle) – loosening the top and bottom retaining brackets allowed me to rotate it so the hole for the locating lug on the switchgear was at ‘three o’clock’. this solved one issue but highlighted another. The lug for the self cancelling mechanism should also point to ‘three o’clock’ when the steering is pointing straight ahead but it was sitting at around ‘one o’clock’. Moving this would involve dismantling the steering rack at the Universal Joint and I decided that was a job for later (probably for when we rebuild the front suspension) The switch was swapped over and following a little fettling to ensure it fitted, we had a fully operational switch which stayed put in the ‘off’ position!
Finally, I started calibrating the fuel gauge. This was a bit ‘suck it and see’ with the only adjustment being two moveable plates that governed the needle swing. I set them to read full before realising I’d done a good few miles since I filled the tank so that was a job that would require revisiting following the next top up!
Hopefully that wouldn’t be far away…